Friday, January 7, 2011

Be Mine, Be Mine, Be My Polka Dotted Valentine!

Hello folks! Quick post today because I have piles to do before our possibly snowy/icy weekend. It would be nice to get more snow and just sit around with my kids and some cocoa but in order to do that, one must actually have cocoa and other essentials like TP, and Doritos in the house. So, Walmart here I come! Before I go though, let me show you today's card. I am pretty happy with it!

This one is a little less whimsical and maybe a little more...dramatic? For lack of a better word? I tried something new here. I used my SU Riding Hood Red reinker to dye a Paper Daisy. Usually, I am too lazy to dye my flowers to match and I end up changing my design to accommodate plain white blooms. Never again! Just take an empty plastic container from SU buttons, brads, etc. Add a couple tablespoons of water and then a few drops of your desired reinker color. The amount of both depends on how deep you want the color to be on your project. Let it soak for a few seconds and then remove with tweezers since the dye will stain your fingers. Let the blossom dry completely on some paper towels before adding to your card.

Once my little flower was dry, I made my card using the very dramatic polka dot print from the Love Letter DSP. Basic Black and Very Vanilla along with Riding Hood Red CS were my solids. The sentiment is from the Filled with Love set. I wasn't lying the other day when I said it was my new favorite, huh? That set is seeing quite a bit of action lately! The leaves were cut using the Sizzix Little Leaves die and my Big Shot. A Filigree Designer Brad and a length of 5/8" Basic Black grosgrain ribbon finish it off. I substituted a black brad for the silver brad that comes with the Filigree set.

I'll skip an actual supply list today since I named everything in my text but of course, if you have any further questions, please ask. All materials used are Stampin' Up! Have a great day and please stop back by this weekend because I have a few new goodies from the occasions Mini Catalog on the way via UPS and I WILL be playing with them over the weekend. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Dramatic is a good word. I like it. Reminds me of prom for some reason. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great card Kyla. Love the flower! Thanks for the little tutorial on how it's done. I've never tried that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Love the contrast!

    ReplyDelete