Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never to be forgotten...

Hello everyone. I almost didn't post today because it just doesn't feel like a "fun card" day but I ended up making something to share so I am popping in anyway. I can't tell you how much I am thinking about the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on our country. All day today I have been really thinking about how much we have grown as a country and how my kids are growing up in a world that knows that kind of  horror whereas we just didn't have that kind of thing to shape my youth. There were lots of tragedies in the nation's past but the worst things to actually happen during my younger years are the attempt on Reagan's life and the Space Shuttle explosion. While terrible, those don't quite measure up to an attack on Americans here on our own soil.

So, I made a card to send to one of the military troop card collection sites. I wanted my kids to see me doing at least a little something today besides the regular laundry and dishes. I wanted them to see at least some demonstration of what is in my heart every day whether I talk about it with them that day or not. I talked with them about how we are so very lucky to have what we have and to have the FREEDOM to sit around on a sunny Sunday doing what we please. Those innocent souls that died in the Towers were the first casualties of the war that has been here for most of their lives and they are really where all this started. Since I can't tell them, maybe some soldier away from their family right now will get my card and know that a family here in Georgia respects what they are doing and that their sacrifice is not going unnoticed. Here is my card...

I wanted it to be simple because a lot of layers would just make it heavy and a bunch of glitzy embellishment sure wouldn't make my point any better. I just wanted to make something that spoke a little of what was in my heart. So there it is. I hope you enjoy it. I think it is pretty straight forward but if you have any questions about materials I used (all SU of course), please drop me a line. Have a great evening!

2 comments:

  1. I love your cards, everything you put into making them, and the passion with which you do it.

    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. I do love your work.

    ReplyDelete